Tuesday, March 03, 2009

What's The Best Training For Fat Loss?


Well, yesterday's Q and A seemed to go down pretty well with many of you emailing me to tell me that the answer about losing saddlebags and muffin tops was really helpful.

Great!

I'm so pleased to put that one to bed. We should be seeing much faster results now right? : )

Anyway, onto today's question.

It's an interesting one from Susan...


"Dax, my training philosophy has been that if you want to lose weight/fat, the best strength training protocol would be circuit training using a lower than max. weight/higher reps/little to no rest between sets.
Cardio would involve HIIT 2 - 3x/week.

Conversely, if you want to add mass/bulk, you would look towards a hypertrophy program such as 5x5 - max. weight/lower reps/rest between sets. Cardio would be steady state.

Obviously, there are diet manipulations based on the goal, but I was having a discussion w/ someone this week who told me its a "myth" that you won't cut lifting using a program such as 5x5 or Rippetoe. That through diet manipulation they can cut as much weight using a training program focusing on hypertrophy based on their diet, and not sacrifice muscle.

I would love your expert opinion on this to clear up any misconceptions I may have.

Thanks!"


Susan

My Answer...


Hi Susan, that's not a bad outlook actually. Circuit training with either multiple stations, peripheral heart action patterns, supersets etc is indeed a very effective system of increasing metabolism and buring lots of fat.

Makes sense when you think about it.

There are around 600 muscles in the human body and the more we can work in any given session, the more metabolically active we become, the more immediate calories we burn and, of course, the more EPOC based calories (after exercise) we burn too.

I call this my '600 rule' and build all of my fat loss training around this power principle.

This makes a circuit-based approach VERY effective for fat loss when combined with the right diet.

That said, whilst one of the methods of performing the circuits is to use lighter weight and more reps, one shouldn't think that this is the ONLY way to go.

It's not.

In fact, circuits and supersets with heavier loads can work just as well for fat loss. This is due to the fact that it's not so much reps that determine the fat burning effect of a set, but rather the total force exerted. The more force, the more energy expended and tissue 'damage' done. This is a good thing as the energy costs are high over time.

Personally, I'd shake up your training so that you use a good variety of rep ranges either from circuit to circuit (my favourite), from workout to workout, or from 'phase' to phase (like, 3 weeks heavy, 3 weeks moderate, 3 weeks lighter).

You can do a circuit with 4-6 reps, another with 8-12 reps, another with with 15-20 and even go as high as 40 reps (yes, I know!).

In truth, it's the mix of repetition ranges and loads that will provide the best metabolic effect as all fibres, energy system and motor-units will be recruited meaning that maximum muscle usage and, of course, energy usage occurs.

Regardless though, it is nutrition and not training that accounts for the greatest impact in fat loss. If your diet is poor and you don't control what goes into your mouth, how often, how much and of what quality then your training will make you fitter, make you stronger and give you better endurance but you'll never be lean.

That's why my free Elimination Diet is a great accompaniment to any fat loss program as you'll clean up and 'lean up' faster, even without changing your exercise program.

Hope this helps!

Dax Moy
The UK's Leading Personal Trainer
Join My FREE Community Over At
www.daxmoy.ning.com



P.S - If you're looking for a great circuit-based workout system that'll speed up your fat loss then you should check out Circuit-style training, supersets and shorter, high intensity workouts such as Turbulence Training or Warp Speed Fatloss as they both work excellently.

4 comments:

Susan said...

Dax, thanks so much for answering my question! I fully agree with you that you cannot out-train a bad diet.

The idea of a phase to phase program is an interesting one that I will be giving a try in the very near future!

Greg said...

Hi Dax. Just finished a month of the ED and haven't lost any weight off my belly AT ALL. My previous diet was relatively good - low suger/carb intake. Biggest regular deviation from ED was in drinking wine and beer.

I have trouble with exercise due to a knee injury - can only do walking on treadmill. My girlfriend lives on the other side of town, which makes it hard to maintain regular gym attendance for more than every second day.

Any thoughts?

stranger said...

I Have another question. I am on day 14 of the ED and have had diarrhea for 4 days straight. Am i doing something wrong? Should i add something to my diet to control this?

Martin Haley said...

Question. When signing up a new client, how long do they have to sign up for initially?

I do at least 7 weeks, whether once, twice or 3 times per week, but many people then do not remain after that period. Signing for longer with payment up front is too expensive for most. So, what is minimum period & sessions per week?

Cheers,

Martin