Friday, March 27, 2009

Are You Malnourished? The Case For Organic Foods


Well, my last post about organic vs non-organic certainly got a reaction.

I have a deluge of emails into my inbox ranging from comments like "About time someone was talking about this!" to "This is utter nonsense. If pesticides were harmful then they wouldn't be allowed to be used on foods. You shouldn't be scaremongering!!" and practically everything in between.

Regardless of which 'camp' you were in, thanks for taking the time to write me with your thoughts on this subject (though I do wish you'd have written them here on the blog so more people could benefit from your comments) : )

By far the most common reaction though, was more like this:

"I understand and mostly agree with the need to eat cleaner, fresher and less adulterated foods but the truth is, they're more expensive and I just can't afford them as much as I'd like. What am I supposed to do?"

Again, another great question, and one that I'm sure most people ask themselves when it comes to making the decision between non-organic and organic produce, right?

Here's my take on it.

Non organic is cheaper, it's true. The average family and especially those on low incomes can buy around 30-50% more food when bought non-organically than they can if they choose the organic option and so it would seem that whilst organic is an ideal scenario, the practicalities mean that most people simply can't justify coming home with a smaller bag of groceries with hungry mouths to feed.

I get it.

I'm a father of four and before my business took off, I was on a low income and felt the same way. I couldn't justify organic foods because of the costs.

Then, over time I started to see things differently.

I noticed that my non-organic shopping, whilst greater in quantity, always seemed to leave my family hungry. They always wanted more. Bigger servings, more snacks in between and practically non-stop cravings for more food.

By contrast, when my family ate organic, they ate smaller portions, less frequently and they rarely, if ever, complained of hunger or asked for more.

It was then that it hit me, truly for the first time ever.

The most important nutritional truth.

Ready for it?

It'll change your life (if you let it!)

Here it is.

Your body doesn't know 'food', all it knows is nutrients.

Bear with me because I know that it probably doesn't sound that amazing as you read it at your PC but it really is.

You see, we get hung up on food all the time. We get hung up on calories, portion sizes, meal frequencies and all manner of things but none of that is anywhere near as important as the nutrients within the things we eat.

Your body just knows that it is running out of certain nutrients.

"Vitamin B6 is getting low" it says and so you get a 'feed me' signal to eat and (hopefully) stock up on the missing vitamin.

"Calcium is running out" it says and again, you get a 'feed me' signal to eat and stock up on some calcium.

It's that straight forward, that simple... and that complex : )

So, when you eat denatured and nutrient poor foods, either because they've been chemically altered or over-processed, your body breaks them down, looks for the nutrients it needs and, if they're not there (which they won't be), simply commands you to eat again so that it can get what it needs.

It's got nothing to do with calories.

You might have already eaten your recommended daily amount of calories but still be lacking nutrients and so you'll be commanded to eat again, and again, and again.

This is not hunger. This is malnutrition.

The truth is hard to believe, but the fact is, many of us are malnourished!

But it's not all bad news, because the reverse is also true.

If you eat a diet that is replete with the nutrients your body requires then you eat less. You eat when your body needs a new supply of nutrients. You stop snacking, you stop feeling hungry all the time and you stop throwing excess calories into your body for no reason.

This is why the elimination diet works so well. It focuses on allowing your body to extract the maximum nutrition from your foods so that you get hungry less often and so lose fat faster whilst at the same time maintaining lean muscle.

What's this got to do with where the conversation started; the cost of organic vs non-organic?

It's pretty simple really.

When you eat non-processed (including chemical processes) foods, you're getting the maximum available nutrition from everything you eat. Because of this, you simply eat less and less often.

What I'm saying here is that you don't have to buy nearly as much organic food as you do non-organic to get your nutritients so it's not more expensive to eat this way at all.

In fact, you may even find, like my family did, that it's cheaper to eat organically than non-organically because you buy much less of the usual rubbish that most families consume on a weekly basis.

Still not sure if you agree with me?

Try it for 1 week.

Try feeding yurself and your family from organic sources for just 1 week and see if you can notice the difference for yourself. If not, then hey, just ignore me, what do I know, right? : )

Dax Moy

The UK's Leading Personal Trainer
http://www.mylondonpersonaltrainer.com

P.S - I'd love to hear your comments on this post. Whatever they may be : )

P.P.S - For your very own FREE Copy of my Elimination Diet visit http://www.mylondonpersonaltrainer.com/Free-Elimination-Diet.htm

11 comments:

Mark Hibbitts said...

You're so right Dax.

When Pringles made the slogan 'once you pop, you just can't stop' they knew exactly what they were talking about!

Sean Ryan said...

Hi Dax,

Very very good post! Loved the read. This is the sort of thing everyone needs to realise.

Thanks,

Sean Ryan
www.MuscleMadness.tk

Colin B said...

What I really notice is the flavour of food, when my Dad grew his own veg, the taste alone displays the difference.

Mass produced which are usually fed/sprayed/and even grown in an artificial medium (looks like rock-wall, a fibrous mass of material.

L G said...

Hello. Been reading for a bit and I can understand the nutrition angle, if you eat a normal western diet. I don't eat a normal western diet and I never really have. Even growing up, we rarely, if ever, bought junk food. We didn't have soda in the house. We made a lot of our own bread, grew our own veggies. As a kid, if I wanted more salt, we didn't have chips to snack on, I ate dill pickles, and drank the juice. No joke.

My question is how many fewer nutrients are we really getting from a non-organic apple? I already go for organic meat, and that has helped a great deal and in the summer, I buy stuff grown locally in the New England area, so I know I'm getting some good minerals from that stuff. (It's the rocks.)

However, I still get hungry. Part of that must logically be because I'm restricting my calories. By most calculations, my body would like 2200-2500 a day. I eat 1500-1600 a day. Wouldn't that also cause some hunger issues?

Just wondering.

Austin Lawrence said...

Great post Dax. I did a blog post last year on organic food and couldn't understand how people didn't 'get' that orgainic food is better. If something is powerful enough to kill bugs and insects it shouldn't be in our food supply-bugs/insects are resilient to so much yet pesticides kill them.

I love it when people say, "If pesticeides were that bad they wouldn't be allowed". Yeah cos our gonvernments really care about the health of their nations,so much so they also allow the mass consumption of tabacco, alcohol, aspartame and way too many other crap to mention.

Austin Lawrence

http://www.bellyfatoff.blogspot.com/

geomom said...

Hi Dax,
This is a great post. Another way that I've found to economize with buying especially organic veggie is to become part of a "CSA" (Community Supported Agriculture). This is where you pay a farmer at the beginning of the growing season for a weekly share of their produce. It is an outlay of cash at the beginning, but SO worth it. Alot of local farmers may use organic growing methods but not be "certified" organic because of the costs. Not sure if these exist in the UK but they are definitely becoming more popular in the US. We did it last year and it was great! My 2 year old loves his veggies!

-Lacy
P.S. We live in suburban Chicago and there are a lot of options, even in the cities! So you don't have to live in the countryside to do this!

Paula said...

Hi Dax,

I'm certainly with you in everything you say on behalf of going organic. Just out of curiosity though I wonder if the grocery savings you are referring to are literally true on 'apple to apple' basis. What I mean is that when you compare what you eat on item by item basis, you eat less of the organic produce, say only one apple per day instead of two, or one slice of tomato on your sandwich instead of two and so on? I'd find that a bit hard to believe because so much of our eating is 'prescheduled' and 'preproportioned', like eating an apple with breakfast, another one at lunch etc. Perhaps the savings you are talking about are more due to changes in the contents and quality of your food, say replacing some 0-nutrient snacks and foods with fruit, veggies and nuts for example while ditching the additional need for prepackaged stuff such as snack bars, corn flakes etc. In that case it is more of a paradigm change and the savings are indirect rather than simply due to the switch to organic. I think it is a bit dangerous to generalise that by switching to organic one can save money by eating less. Going organic has to be taken holistically and in a context of healthy eating (which you are preaching anyway with your elimination diet). I never understood why would anyone opt to buy organic white sugar for example since with or without the pesticides the stuff is a poison! So, yes, healthy way of life does not have to cost a fortune if it is implemented so that some of the wallet draining and belly fattening junk food items are replaced with more wholesome natural alternatives, going all the way to organic with as many items as possible.

Paula

gvd46 said...

I totally agree with you Dax

Christopher Warden said...

Great post Dax. I've said similar things many times, but you've worded it incredibly. . .

My favorite part of many in this post:

"Your body doesn't know 'food', all it knows is nutrients. . . So, when you eat denatured and nutrient poor foods, either because they've been chemically altered or over-processed, your body breaks them down, looks for the nutrients it needs and, if they're not there (which they won't be), simply commands you to eat again so that it can get what it needs.

It's got nothing to do with calories.

You might have already eaten your recommended daily amount of calories but still be lacking nutrients and so you'll be commanded to eat again, and again, and again.

This is not hunger. This is malnutrition."

Couldn't have said it better!

Thanks for the post!

Christopher

Roberta said...

This post really "clicked" for me and explains alot of the obesity here in the US. It explains why I am satisfied on a daily basis with my food choices and why other family and friends around me who choose non-organic, processed foods are "never" satisfied. Wonderful! Roberta

lucky piggy said...

Great post, 100 % agree with you. Better quality = less quantity.

How do you deal with social eating and the lack of availability of organic foods in the supermarkets, bars, restaurants etc.

Thank you.